Tuesday, July 6, 2010

First Day in ED

Monday was my first day in the ED.  I was so nervous that I woke up at 4am, got there 40 minutes early and couldn't stop sweating!  I also forgot my stethoscope at home and Bry had to bike it over.  (I felt less than responsible when I got paged "Dr. Polzin?  Yeah, um, some guy is in the waiting room with your stethoscope.....)
My first patient was fairly complicated so I got right back into the swing of things.  It was like my brain was waking up after a 6 month hiatus.  I didn't have a chance to eat or sit down for the entire 10 hour shift.  We had a waiting room of 40 people and had to go on diversion.  Pretty busy day overall.  I'd like to thank all the ED nurses and techs who got me through it - helping me figure out what to do and what to order and HOW to do it all.  I go back and do it all again on Wednesday - and honestly, I can't wait.

In Knitting News I finished the 2 scarves I was working on.  I've got the thumb started on my second mitten so the pair will finally be finished.  I'm resisting the urge to start some more projects but I'm not sure how much longer I can hold off.

My parents were in town for the 4th.  We went out for a lovely dinner at Paulie's on 81st and Greenfield.  We love that place for fish fry and it was nice to be able to take a deep breath in there since Milwaukee went SMOKE FREE yesterday!  The dinner took a while since they were pretty busy, but it was fun to catch up with Lindsey and Jesse too.

Bry is back to working late in Watertown at least until Tuesday.  We're not sure what he'll be doing the rest of the week.

No comments:

Post a Comment