Monday, January 25, 2010

Getting Ready To Go!!

Well, my (new and shiny, thanks, mom) suitcase is packed. I've got a lot of extra room. The girls I'm going to be rooming with are trying to figure out what all we can share so we don't have 6 shampoos/conditioners/contact solutions/etc on the counters at one time. I've got at least 5 new books plus my Philippines book (thanks again, Lindsey) in my carry on pack and a new camera accessory is coming in the mail on Wednesday. I've got my electrical converters along too, and a flash light. Just in case.
I have my white coat, stethoscope and gloves packed for the actual hospital stuff.

So far the itinerary is as follows:
Depart Milwaukee 7:20 am on Monday, Feb 1. Arrive 9:30am O'Hare. Depart O'Hare 11:30am.
14 HOUR FLIGHT TO SEOUL, SOUTH KOREA
2-3 hour layover
4 HOUR FLIGHT TO MANILA, PHILIPPINES
Arrive Manila 11:30PM on TUESDAY, FEB 2 (Manila time, which is 14 hours ahead of CST)

Wednesday we're having a group breakfast and then touring the American Embassy.

Thursday we're going to Corrigedor Island - the site of most WWII events and a former naval base.

Friday we leave for the Bataan Peninsula. We'll be on a bus on dirt roads which doesn't sound like fun, but hiking to a remote village of the Ayta people should make it worth the ride. We'll be spending the night on the beach (with Karaoke??!!) and sleeping in tents and mosquito netting.

Saturday we head back to Manila. We'll have Saturday and Sunday to explore some before we all start work on Monday at Philippine General Hospital (PGH).
I will be working in the Emergency Department. Evidently the guy in charge of it is one of the leaders in handling massive natural disasters in Southeast Asia - there should be some good stories there! Plus, in a city with minimal traffic laws and vehicles left over from WWII and 15 million people, I'm not planning on being bored!

No comments:

Post a Comment