Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Quilting

I wanted to buy some cute fabric to make bowties for a friend.  So I went to Patched Works in Elm Grove.  And that was my first mistake.

My friend is due with a baby boy in 5 weeks.  She's a doctor, and her husband is a chemist.  So I asked if they had any dorky science fabric..... look at this quirky and cute Michael Miller print!

Curious Critters by Micheal Miller
Lab Animals in Turquoise
Coordinating binding Atoms in Black.


So I bought a yard of this and a yard of a coordinating print.  I bought blue minky for the back.  Since the print was so perfect I decided not to cut it and just to make a simple quilt.  I used 2 inch tape to mark out my lines and made up my own pattern that just happened to work out perfectly - I got lucky!



There was a little puckering of the minky, but all in all it turned out ok.  I even did my first HAND SEWN BINDING - which was a big deal and did turn out pretty nice (I need to work on the corners though.)  Again, I followed the Oh Fransson tutorials and was pretty happy with the result.  The Mother-to-Be also was quite pleased with it.

I liked this simple quilt.  1 yard of fabric was a perfect baby-sized blanket.  I did it all in about 3 days and would do it again.  I do need to buy some more 2 inch tape before I do another quilt, but it really helps and is super easy.

No comments:

Post a Comment